I cannot believe that almost 20 years after Bertha Wilson and the Supreme Court decision, this is still going on!
The Liberal MP for Huron-Bruce, Paul Steckle, introduced the new abortion bill which would carry sentences on par with the average sentence for manslaughter, if the abortions are carried out after 20 weeks.
We have a baseline against which to measure whether a woman’s right to choose is being rolled back.
That baseline shows that eighteen years after the historic Morgentaler decision, Canadian women still face challenges with realizing choice, in particular with access to abortion services. A recent national study of access to abortion services at hospitals across Canada found that:
- only 17.8 of all general hospitals in Canada perform abortions, with some jurisdictions, such as Prince Edward Island and Nunavut offering no hospital abortion services at al;
- even hospitals providing abortions place obstacles in the way of women trying to obtain one, including restrictive gestational limits and long wait times (sometimes 2-3 weeks);
- in many cases, hospital employees are not able to provide women with information about alternative resources;
- physicians and hospital employees deny women access by refusing information and referrals, or by referring women to anti-choice angecies; and
- many women have to travel significant distances to obtain abortion services, which is time consuming, expensive and conflicts with work and child care.
Contact Mr. Steckle and remind him of this. He can be reached in Ottawa
Telephone: (613) 992-8234
Fax: (613) 995-6350
Land mail (postage free):
House of Commons
or at his Constituency Offices
30 Victoria St North,
Telephone: (519) 524-6938
Fax: (519) 524-9374
Updated to add : Take a look at this! A Secret Anti-Choice Caucus!
Updated to adjust link. (Thanks again, Trizia!)
Updated to add this link to stories about anti-choice women who’ve had abortions. (Thanks Toedancer!)
Updated 29Jun06 to add a link to this most excellent post at The Galloping Beaver.